Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Breaking the Mold


Miscarriage. You know about it, but you rarely hear about it. It’s such a taboo subject, yet you don’t realize just how taboo until you go through one yourself. It seems wrong to give such a negative connotation to such a common occurrence. About one in four pregnancies are lost within the first few months. Some experts believe that this number may be as high as one in two pregnancies. Many women miscarry before they ever know they are pregnant. (http://attainfertility.com/article/fertility-after-miscarriage). That’s 25-50%, not a small number. While I understand the many reasons why it has become taboo, I feel compelled to let others know that you shouldn’t feel ashamed, scared or uncomfortable talking about it no matter which side you’re on.  This is the reason I’m writing. Not sympathy, but understanding and awareness.

Having a miscarriage is a horrible, horrible experience that I wouldn’t wish on my worst enemy. I lost my first child (here's our story). I was only 7 weeks along, so it seems like the blow should be less. It wasn’t. It was hard, yet I felt like I couldn’t talk to anyone. Who could I turn to? My husband and family were there for me, but so far away. I wanted to talk about it, but I didn’t. How would I begin talking about it? No one even knew I was pregnant.

No one talks about their struggles getting pregnant or miscarrying. For some it’s because it’s a very personal matter and they don’t want anyone to know. But for many, it’s all you think about. It consumes you. Deep inside you beg someone to bring it up, to talk to you about it. As someone who has experienced some of this, I know this feeling. You so desperately want it to not be taboo. You want to be able to talk about it freely and not feel embarrassed or ashamed. It’s therapeutic to discuss it, to realize just how common it is and that you’re not alone or that different from most other women. We shouldn’t have to discover through google just how common pregnancy struggles and miscarriages are. We should feel comfortable talking about it. We should feel comfortable consoling others who have been through it.

I encountered many faces as I went through my miscarriage. Nurses, doctors, techs, strangers, friends, and family. Some knew how to respond, others didn’t. Why? Because it’s taboo. No one talks about it, so no one knows how to talk about it. 

 When I was in the ER I came across both sides of this. The doctor caring for me was not afraid to say the word miscarriage. He was a he. He had never had a miscarriage and had no clue what I was going through, but he allowed me to feel comfortable in my feelings. To grieve. He acknowledged how I felt and was there for me. That meant the world to me, especially since I was alone. The nurse and the ultrasound tech were just the opposite. They were obviously uncomfortable around me. They didn’t know what to say or how to interact. Instead they made very shallow comments or just ignored me all together. This was the hardest part of all. I didn’t want (or expect) sympathy or someone to cry with me. I just wanted to not feel like an alien. As a nurse, I feel it is so important to treat patients as a person, not a disease (or in my case, a miscarriage). Just sitting with your patient/friend/family, listening to them, validating their feelings can go such a long way. And you don’t even have to say a word.

This is where it all started. Why do we not tell people when we have struggles? Especially people we love. Why do we hide miscarriages? Why do we keep things bottled up inside, put on a happy face and go on like nothing ever happened? Because that is the norm. It’s taboo. People don’t talk about it, so people don’t know how to talk about it. How does this help anyone? It doesn’t.

After my miscarriage, I wanted to know more, I wanted to learn more. That’s just me. I started researching. I came across thousands of message boards with women asking questions, talking with strangers, reaching out to anybody for support. Why? Because who else were they going to talk to? Surely there was no one else in their lives who had had a similar experience or who would understand?

Not true.

I knew of a few friends and family members who had gone through a miscarriage before I went through mine. After I started talking about it, I learned just how true the statistics were. EVERYONE I talked to had either had a miscarriage (or multiple) themselves, or knew someone close to them who had. They never talked about it. Instead, they kept it bottled up inside until someone, anyone, shared the commonality. You hear all the time about the easy conceptions, pregnancies and births. That’s easy to talk about. Why can’t we feel safe talking about the struggles? Why do we have to feel alone? Like we’re the only ones in the universe going through this.

We don’t.

For those women who have (or one day may) go through infertility issues or a miscarriage, don’t be afraid. Don’t be ashamed. You’re not alone. For those of you who know someone who has gone through something like this, don’t ignore them. If you care about them, acknowledge their grief. You don’t have to have the “right” words, just being there is all they need. BREAK THE MOLD. Let other women know that it doesn’t have to be taboo.

6 comments:

  1. Oh, Crystal. I just read both of your posts and what you're going through breaks my heart. It's true, it's rare that any of us talk about our struggles - especially with something so sensitive and personal. I don't know if that's because in this age of social media we're told that we just need to paint a pretty picture, or what. But this was so raw and I know so many can relate to it. I'm thinking of you and Adam and sending love your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christa, you are so right. It's all about portraying the "perfect" life, which no one has. It's just making it more and more difficult for people to be real. I hope this helps others see that the truth is so much greater. I appreciate your sweet words. Your blog is what initially got me thinking about starting my own. Thanks for the inspiration :).

      Delete
  2. Thank you Crystal for creating this blog. I have a close friend going through this same thing. I am going to share your blog with her. I know there are also many others who can relate. I am praying for you and your husband. May God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. That is exactly why I created this. I hope it helps her in some way.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing your experience. I know how hard this must be for you. I too suffered a miscarriage with my first child. And, I too suffered through it alone as my husband was working out of state at the time. I was even told not to come to the ER, but to monitor my bleeding and make an appointment for that following Monday (my miscarriage happened late on a Friday...odd that I still remember the littlest details...?) Most of the professionals I encountered about my miscarriage seemed cold; like it was no big deal. "You'll get pregnant again." or You had no trouble getting pregnant with this one, I'm sure you won't have any problems." Or, this is just nature's way of natural selection before it developed any further (I was about 6 weeks). (yep, that was the best one). The only one who understood was my mother. She and my dad had tried and failed so many time to have children that they finally adopted (yes, me and my brother). I was blessed to have her to talk to. Someone finally understood. It was very comforting to talk with her and share my feelings of losing what I considered was my first child (even if others around didn't).

    It took two more years before we were able to conceive a healthy child. It was a long road full of tests, surgeries and then finally, it just happened.

    I still think of my first and what life would have been like. I also think about what caused it (I think about it a lot)..what was wrong, genetically, what...what...what could have happened...? I don't think that will ever go away. There will always be a great sense of loss.

    It took a while but I have learned to place it all in God's hands and never give up. God does answer prayers but in His time. I think that is the hardest part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CB, thank you for sharing that. Hearing stories like yours just reaffirms why I did this in the first place. I appreciate you.

      Delete