Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Family


What exactly is family?

I’ve been thinking about this for a few days now. We all have a preconceived notion based on our own background, beliefs, and values…. But when it comes down to it, it’s really simple.  In my pediatric lecture course we cover an entire chapter over “Family Centered Care”, and in my PowerPoint I describe family as “whatever a person considers it to be.” I remind my students that for some it is the typical mom/dad/child, but for others it includes grandparents, step-parents, adopted children, friends. It is whoever is most important to you, blood or not. Yet, I struggle with this understanding of family myself.
I began thinking about the meaning of family after I read a very moving story (read here). This story, if you chose not to read it, is about a 15 year-old orphan praying for adoption. I’ve always said I wanted to adopt, but this story gave me an entirely new perspective. For me, adoption has been a “last resort” and something I’d want to do AFTER I had 2 children of my own. Since our miscarriage, I’ve been thinking a lot more about adoption. We have no idea what the future holds for us, and that has opened my mind and my heart.

Why last resort? Why AFTER?

Adoption to me is no longer the trendy, altruistic thing to do. I believe it is what I was meant to do.

We will still continue to try for our own little miracle, but I will also begin the journey to learn more about adoption.

I’ve spent the last week with my family. My BIG, LOUD, AMAZING family. They make me crazy, but I couldn’t be more blessed. We love each other. We support each other.  My family doesn’t consist of only blood. I have people in my life who don’t share a single gene with me that I consider family, and I couldn’t imagine my life without them. I want to share that love with a child who needs us. Because even more, we need them. To open our mind and our heart to all that love is.

No comments:

Post a Comment