Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

THE Name!

So, at this point I realize our sweet baby girl's name is no secret, BUT I promised a post all about it so here ya go...




I was never a huge fan of my own name (no offense mom, I really like it now)... plus Crystal Gazda sounds way better than Crystal Hubbell (I would get tongue tied on my own name... redic..). Growing up, I always encouraged everyone to just call me Crissy. By the time I started college, I decided Crissy wasn't "mature" enough so I went back to Crystal.. although still not a fan. SO, when it comes to choosing a name I take it VERY seriously. 

In high school, I made the decision that I was going to adopt a baby from Asia when I was older. So, my names were: Isabella Grace for a girl, Jackson Alexander for a boy, and Vivian Rose for our Asian girl. Well, my then boyfriend's cousin took Isabella Grace (and it's now too common of a name for my liking anyway) so that's been out. I informed Adam of the other 2 names and he's been on board since day 1... although he's not quite sure about the adopting thing so he has always said Vivian Rose would be our biological girl's name. 

So we get preggo and while everything else seemed overwhelming, picking our name should be easy-peasy, right? Wrong!! We find out that Jackson is the MOST common boys name in the U.S. right now... WTF! So panic mode sets in there because boys names are HARD and I don't want him to be Jackson #6 in his class (although wouldn't "JAG" (his initials) be a cool name?)! And as far as the girls name... I freak! because again, what if she wants to change her name too. This is all too real! So, we decide to wait until we find out the gender to start stressing about names since then we'd only have to stress about one gender. 

Well... It's a GIRL!! Now what are you going to name her?? Talk about pressure! We had 3 "top names" picked out by this point, and decided to wait until she was born to choose. BUT I started to get requests for the name and initials so people could buy her sweet monogrammed things... who wouldn't want that!? Plus I really wanted to call her by her name... Lil' G and baby girl were getting old. 

So at 20 weeks, I sat down with Adam and we talked it out. Since we already had names picked out, AND since Adam had already made it clear (since day 1) that he liked Vivian I thought it was going to be easy. Again, wrong! I had secretly decided Vivian was the name and just wanted Adam's approval. So when I asked, what does he say? A completely different name! $%&@!?? Here we go again. I liked Vivian Rose and he liked Paige Olivia. Now don't get me wrong, I love Paige Olivia, but I like the option for nicknames and you can't do much with Paige. So that discussion lasted another week before we compromised on Vivian Paige. And can I just say I'm (STILL) in love with her name. It's classic, timeless, beautiful, unique and most importantly it just feels right. When I saw her sweet face on the 3D ultrasound I knew we made the right decision. 

Vivian Paige ladies and gentlemen: 




Now the reception of her name has been mixed (of course). You can't please everyone, so it's good we couldn't care less what anyone else thinks. But, I have to share some of the best reactions.... Most people ask if it's a family name since it's very vintage, but it's not. When we shared the name with my grandmother, she wasn't very enthused and asked how I came up with Vivian. Although not (completely) true I decided to tell her it was inspired by Pretty Woman since that is both of our favorite movie.... her response: "You're naming your daughter after a prostitute?!???!" Well, that didn't pan out like I hoped... oh well, you can't win them all ;).

For the record... I thought of Vivian Rose before Jessie James Decker (that seriously erked me...), and while I am not a fan of Angelina Jolie, I'll be the bigger person and share a name with her daughter. 

Now let's hope she likes it as much as we do :)

No comments:

Post a Comment